Funny T-shirt designs – how many times did you see that term on internet? No doubt funny slogans and illustrations are best-sellers on T-shirt market. Don’t know about you, but I don’t necessarily like that fact because of these two simple reasons:
- funny T-shirts ain’t funny – whenever I see slogans like I’m with stupid or something like that I get this facial expression as if I’ve just eaten a slice of grapefruit. Rotten grapefruit;
- funny T-shirts ain’t T-shirts – of course they are, but if you understand T-shirts as not just the clothes – but a medium to express different artistc styles, certain standpoints or particular lifestyle – than you’ll understand what I’m talking about here.
Don’t get me wrong – of course there are plenty of good jokes printed on tees out there and some of it might be called art. I like it when people have a serious approach to their business, even when it’s humurous / funny. Perfect example of this is relatively new clothing label Meanie Wear, owned & operated by Joe and Chris Radella from the lil’ town of Talking Rock, Georgia, US. Not long ago I was priviledged by receiving a parcel with not one, but two Meanie Wear sample tees to try them out – one was regular men-styled T-shirt, and the other one was great-looking ladies tank.
Before I tell you what we thought about sent samples – you might wanna check out Meanie Wear label profile to see what this line is all about.
- Label type – family owned and operated licensed T-shirt business;
- Mission – “the objective of our business is to provide a high quality product and a reliable customer service experience for our customers” (quoted);
- Designs – hand-drawn, funny and attractive, based around the character of Meanie;
- Web presence – website with the online shop, Facebook and Twitter profiles.
In case you were wondering who is Meanie – he is this crazy and a little bit ugly character who likes to have fun while riding a mountain bike, surfing big waves, playing with his kick-ass band or listening to reggae music. “Meanie had no name until a friend seen the drawing on the wall and said – that’s a mean looking character! And I said, THAT’S a self – portrait OLD FRIEND!!! The name Meanie stuck”, says Joe Radella, Meanie’s creator. And now – onto the samples!
Sample one – Tornado ladies tank
When I first saw this tank on Meanie Wear’s Facebook profile I loved it. You must admit it looks really appealing, even if you’re not a lady (much like me). I often think that any prints on this kind of clothes spoils the look of it, however Meanie ridin’ a mean tornado fits this tank just like a mustard fits them hot dogs! No wonder it looked even better when it was seen live.
- T-shirt design – Meanie riding a tornado is printed using only two colors – black and white – onto olive-colored tank, which certainly draws attention whilst not looking aggressive;
- Creativity aspect – clean and simple hand-drawn design, which is what we really liked in combination with this kind of shirt;
- T-shirt type – 100% presrunked ring spun cotton tank with ribbed pattern and “romantic” embroidery on armholes and upper edges, plus a raw edgebottom. Made by Anvil – a company known for it’s quality when it comes to whole range of styles (men / women / youth). Although made of 100% cotton shirt feels very elastic, almost as if it was made of lycra;
- Additional prints – there is a back print on this tank – it’s Meanies’ face, which is bigger than other back prints I’m seeing on tees, especially on this type of clothes;
- Sizing – this tank came is size M and it follows your body line perfectly if you like silhouette-fitted clothes,whilst not being too tight;
- Printing method – this design is printed using screen-printing method, which is widely accepted method because of it’s quality and durability (colors are not likely to be washed away for years);
- Maintance – tank is to be washed in warm water with like-colors and tumble-dried medium. It shouldn’t be ironed, which is okay if you know that (if in your exact size) it will stretch upon dressing it up;
- Price – this shirt is yours for $20.99, which is a more than reasonable price when you have in mind it’s looks and quality.
Tornado Meanie is a great looking and very comfortable tank for all you ladies which will make you look even prettier and attractive then you already are. Not only you’ll wear it with pride everywhere you go – it will last for years, without any concern about colors washing away with time.
Sample two – Meanie Surfs men T-shirt
Upon unpacking it Meanie Surfs tee looked really eye-catching, even though the design itself isn’t printed that big. I also liked the color of shirt, but it felt as if it’ll be too wide for me. Well since I go by the try & learn motto – there was only one way to find out will I wear Meanie tee with pride: trying it on!
- T-shirt design – this designs shows Meanie in his shorts and sandals, holding his surfing board and ready to jump into the blue water. It’s a 3-colors (black / white / blue) design which looks really appealing printed onto ice-grey colored shirt;
- Creativity aspect – I like the way Meanie is drawn, not only here, but everywhere he might show up – clean, without unnecessary details, with highlighted eyes and teeth which shows this character’s “mean” character. Meanie looks really relaxed and invites you to feel relaxed while wearing this tee;
- T-shirt type – this is 100% pre-shrunked cotton shirt by Gildan – company which is known for it’s quality and consistency. It’s of medium thickness and feels very comfortable and soft;
- Additional print – just like the tank above this tee also has Meanies’ face printed on the back with the logo written below. Looks really cool;
- Sizing – this shirt came in L and I usually wear M, which means it’s not fitted that slim. Although one size bigger I think it still fits nice, especially being a bit thicker;
- Printing method – this design is screen-printed, which means great quality and durability if maintained properly. You can easily feel the ink beneath fingers, especially on white-colored parts so this design feels almost relief-ish;
- Maintance – this tee can be washed inside-out in warm water, but the neck tag says it cannot be ironed. However, I ironed it turned inside-out and nothing happened, except curves mysteriously disappeared, so I suggest you do the same;
- Price – all Meanie Wear T-shirts are priced $15.99, which is perfect price for this type of tees.
In conclusion – Meanie Surfs is a relaxed-fitting high-quality T-shirt which is nice to wear on everyday basis. It’s easy to maintain and the printing quality is great, so it’s surely value for money.
Joe and Chris Radella started Meanie Wear when they were really sure where they want to get with it. Now, you might have the best intentions on creating the best T-shirt company in the world, but you have to be serious about it, meaning – you’ll have to pay attention to quality and satisfaction of your customers, along with creating nice looking designs. Luckily for them – seems the Radellas have all necessary ingredients for cooking up the good Meanie soup. I’d only like to see some tag labels sewn to their shirts in the future.
Liked Meanie Wear story / designs? Felt inspired by it to create your own clothing line? I’d love to hear your comments, so don’t hesitate to leave them below!